SOAK is 100% volunteer-run, and couldn’t function without hundreds of hard-working volunteers like you
How were you planning on spending your time at SOAK*2017: Superstition? Sweeping up broken mirrors and spilled salt, weaving dream catchers, sewing voodoo dolls, making sage smudges for cleansing your theme camp, fluffing auras, balancing chakras?
How about volunteering with some of the people who make the magic happen? Virtually every team at SOAK is looking for volunteers, so there’s likely to be a role for you, whatever your interests. Volunteering gives you an opportunity to interact with your fellow participants and contribute towards making SOAK a fabulous experience!
Volunteers are critical to the SOAK experience, and each year the team looks for ways to show appreciation to participants who go above and beyond in contributing to making SOAK awesome. Volunteer hours are carefully tracked, and those who earn 16 points or more volunteering for SOAK*2017 teams will receive a Gift Ticket to SOAK*2018.
Here are the guidelines for SOAK*2017:
Most pre-event work: 1 hour of work = ½ point
Some departments offer pre-event work, which generally occurs in Portland in the weeks and months leading up to the event. An hour of pre-event work is equivalent to ½ point.
Event work: 1 hour of work = 1 point
Event work occurs at the site and includes setup, shifts during the event, onsite strike, Leave No Trace cleanup, and some post-event work.
High-demand event work: 1 hour of work = 1.5 points
Some high-demand shifts roles offer additional points. Inquire with your individual Department Lead(s) for more information.
- Volunteers may accrue points with multiple departments; there is no requirement that all efforts be directed to a single team.
- Failing to show up for a scheduled shift can result in a loss or deduction of points. Don’t sign up for shifts you can’t commit to making.
- If an individual with a Gift Ticket is unable to attend the event, they may request to defer their Gift Ticket to the following year. A Gift Ticket may be deferred only one time.
- An individual may donate their Gift Ticket to another person. It is not acceptable to sell a Gift Ticket; their face value is $0.
- No matter how many points are accrued, only one Gift Ticket will be awarded.
If you have questions, talk to your individual Department Lead(s).